Newport Pagnell warehouse fire started ‘accidentally’

Posted under Miscellaneous on 17 Jan 2014

A blaze that destroyed a warehouse in Buckinghamshire started accidentally, a fire service inquiry has said.

The Liebherr Distribution Centre in Newport Pagnell collapsed when a cardboard and polystyrene fire gutted its main building on Wednesday.

Fire and rescue station manager Ian Wilson said crews would remain on site as the remains were still smouldering.

Clouds of smoke were released and people were told to stay inside because of the risk from “poisonous gases”.

Phillip Harris, who lives next to the warehouse, said it would be some time before things would return to normal.

He saw the building collapse in the flames and said: “We panicked at first because it was such a big fire and so close to the house.

“There’s only the space where we park our cars separating our house from the fire.”

All the 20 people inside the building were accounted for and were unharmed.

Source: bbc.co.uk