Caerphilly fire: Shop badly damaged in Cardiff Road blaze

Posted under Miscellaneous on 12 Mar 2014

A town centre shop has been badly damaged in a fire which led to neighbouring premises being evacuated.

The blaze at a clothes shop on Cardiff Road, Caerphilly, led to nearby residents being advised to keep their windows closed.

Seven fire crews from as far afield as the Vale of Glamorgan were at the scene at one stage, after the alarm was raised at 10:05 GMT.

The fire is now out but firefighters are damping down at the scene.

South Wales Fire and Rescue Service said the owner of the shop had put on an electric fire which accidentally caused an item of clothing to catch fire.

It spread quickly throughout the store, the spokesman added.

A police cordon was in place on Cardiff Road as crews tackled the blaze, which was contained on the ground floor.

Dan Curtis, who lives nearby, said he saw the fire when he went shopping, with smoke engulfing the town at the time.

He added: “It’s the damage that it has caused – that shop is completely wrecked.”

Source: bbc.co.uk